Saturday 21 April 2012

The starting point...

So in 2008 I went to the VW Portland drags, about a 6 hour drive away.  Seeing the awesome time some of my friends were having, I was really keen to get out there and have some fun, so of course on the drive home I was thinking of what I could do to make it happen....

I had a reasonable 58 shell in the back yard, which I thought I could cut up a bit to lighten it, build a small turbo motor to get the thing going quick, and keep the whole thing relatively mild as a part time street / drag car.  Oh how the plan has "evolved"!!!

This is what I started with:

Progress was very slow at this stage due to other committments, but once every blue moon I would get a chance to get out there and cut a bit more out of it, these first shots cover about the first year!



Then in early 2011, things changed a little, I sold my house and was moving into a house with a much smaller yard and shed - I just didn't have the room for it.  I was really close to sending the shell off to scrap, until a conversation with Aaron along the lines of "look - how about we cut some more off it, send it off to be dipped, then it can go to my place and we can build it there.  We can probably do it really cheaply too - how hard can it be?"

Famous last words!

These next couple are before and after being acid dipped & primered:



From here on, the work stepped up somewhat...

No comments:

Post a Comment